- Arbitrating Online: Are You Ready?
- Online arbitration has become a new norm in arbitration practice globally, in particular as affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. To get prepared to conduct arbitration proceedings online, it would be useful to know latest developments of online arbitration in Hong Kong.
- eBRAM International Online Dispute Resolution Centre (eBRAM) is a full spectrum online dispute resolution services provider, which provides secure online platform for arbitration, mediation, and deal-making. Daniel Lam, SBS, JP, the CEO of eBRAM will share his insights into new developments in Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) in Hong Kong and how arbitrators should get prepared for online arbitration.
- Highlights of the talks include:
- Overview of eBRAM’s services
- New development of COVID-19 ODR Scheme
- Features of the APEC ODR Framework
- Selection of online hearing technologies
- e-Signing of awards or other documents
- Use of AI machine translation in arbitration
About the Speaker
Daniel C. Lam SBS, JP
Chief Executive Officer/Secretary General (CEO/SG)
FRICS, FHKIS, FHKIArb, FCIArb, AP, RPS(BS)
Chartered Surveyor, Chartered Arbitrator
Daniel is the Chief Executive Officer of eBRAM International Online Dispute Resolution Centre Limited. He is an expert in property development and construction, specialized in urban renewal and developments above railway stations and depots, and is a practicing arbitrator.
Daniel’s experience extends beyond Hong Kong. Daniel started his work at the Hongkong Land Group, then Hong Kong Government, the Hongkong Bank (HSBC) Group, the Sime Darby Group and China Light & Power Group, before setting up his own practice, DCL Consultants Ltd. in 1993, until 2000 when he left. In 2000-07, Daniel was the Director, Property of Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation and planned and directed all property development projects, as well as operating a sizeable leasing, licensing, advertising and property management portfolio.
In 2008-2015, he was appointed an Independent Non-Executive Director of the Hong Kong Urban Renewal Authority, and in 2015-2016 he was appointed the Managing Director.
Daniel was the President of the Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors in 1986-1987. Because of Daniel’s professional knowledge and interest in arbitration, he has been appointed as arbitrator in a number of cases. He was a Council member of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (1993–2016), Chairman of its Mediators Accreditation Committee (2002-2006); and the Founding Chairman of the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators (1997-2000). He is a Chartered Arbitrator and listed in Hong Kong, London, Vancouver, Beijing and Shenzhen. He is also a member of the International Council of Commercial Arbitration in Hague. In 2016 he was also appointed as arbitrator by the One Belt One Road (China) Arbitration Court.
Daniel’s professional and public service include serving as member of the Land & Building Advisory Committee (1986-1990), Hong Kong Housing Authority (1993-2001) and Chairman of its Building Committee (1996-2001), and member of the Construction Industry Review Committee. Since 2016, he was appointed a member of the Board of the Hospital Authority.