Topic: “Mediation in Insurance Industry”
Date: Thursday, 2 December 2021
Time: 2:00pm – 4:00pm (Hong Kong Time)
Format: Zoom Webinar
** 2 Law Society CPD points being applied for.
About the Webinar
The webinar will focus on mediation within the Insurance Industry. Experts within the industry will each share their hands on experience and draw to the audience some of the areas that one needs to be aware of when preparing for and using mediation to resolve insurance related disputes. The session is moderated by Dr. Christopher To.
Speakers will cover:
- Insurance disputes resolved through litigation can be handled more effectively through mediation, with much savings in time and costs. Speakers will share some practical examples within the personal injuries sector to illustrate how resolutions can be achieved in the early stages of litigation;
- Looking from the Insurer’s perspective: Why injured workers are not returning to work as expected? How the case manager can facilitate injured workers in returning to work. The speakers will illustrate some practical examples in the area of employee compensation claims to put matters into perspective;
- A step by step approach from an initial dispute towards a mediated settlement will provide the audience with a complete picture of the benefits and pitfalls of using mediation at the early stages of the dispute;
- How does one define the negotiation strategy to adopt within the mediation process;
- As a party to a dispute, are we compelled to attempt mediation?
- What are the challenges one needs to be aware of when using mediation to resolve one’s dispute?
- What role does the legal advisor play in the mediation process?
- Practical tips on the preparation of and during a mediation process for a successful mediation. Does one need to develop an appropriate risk assessment strategy before one considers the use of mediation?
- At what stage in a dispute can you use mediation?
- How is the mediator selected?
Dr. Wilson Cheung
Founder, Technic Essential Insurance Claims Consultant
Wilson used to work for insurance companies handling claims with hands-on experience on mediation. He now focuses more on helping the insured to make claims against insurance companies.
Mr. Stephen Chu
Operations Manager (Legal, Compliance, Risk Management & Claims), China Ping An Insurance (HK) Co., Ltd.
Stephen was previously a practicing barrister. He has hands-on experience in assisting disputants in using mediation to resolve insurance related disputes and now focuses on advising a leading insurance company in handling personal injury claims. He is the current Chair of ARIAS Asia promoting improvement of the insurance and reinsurance arbitration and mediation process for the international and domestic markets.
Dr. Sun Lai PhD
Managing Director, Admin. Total Rehabilitation Management (HK) Limited
Dr. Lai is the Managing Director of TRM (HK) Limited. He specializes in work injury management and has been working within the Employees’ Compensation field for more than 20 years. He finds that some injured workers cannot return to work after rehabilitation as such mediation would be one of the ways to resolve the dispute before it proceeds to the long and expensive litigation process.
Dr. Christopher To
Gilt Chambers (Moderator)
Christopher is a practicing barrister, mediator and arbitrator. He is the current Chairperson of the Hong Kong Mediation Council, a division of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre and was the Executive Director of the Construction Industry Council tasked with the oversight of looking after the registration of construction workers and setting policy relating to health and safety of construction personnel.
As a supporting organisation, HKIArb’s members will enjoy the same webinar fee discount as ICC-HK members. Register before the Early Bird offer expires on 23 November 2021 to avoid disappointment!